[Openstack] Openstack migration , complicated .. doable?

Florian Rommel florian.rommel at datalounges.com
Fri Mar 11 12:06:39 UTC 2016

Hi, I am involved in a project where there is a need to migrate instances from an older Openstack release (Juno) to Liberty. However the trick is that all the instances should be moved into Ceph as a backend.

So far, the only thing i have figured out to do is create all the networks etc manually.
then create a snapshot of each instance in the old environment, do a glance image download, import it into the new environment, spawn a new instance and then alter the database to reflect the image used to create, the actual OS image and delete the imported snapshot.

Is there ANYTHING that could be done smoother?we are talking a lot of image exports and moving..
:(

Thanks already for any help and you can mail me also directly as i only get the digest of this mailing list.

//florian