[Openstack] swift ringbuilder and disk size/capacity relationship

Peter Brouwer peter.brouwer at oracle.com
Wed Mar 2 14:57:14 UTC 2016

Hello

I am trying to find some information on the relationship of the ring
(builder) structure of swift and the size of disks used, i.e. how is
capacity of a disk managed.
I've seen many docs/blogs explaining the ring and partitions but I have
not seen any info on how available space per disk is managed, i.e. the
relationship between disk size and allocating ring partitions.

Do all disks in a ring need to be of the same capacity? If not how is
swift handling the amount of free space?

Any pointers to documentation on this?

--
Regards,

Peter Brouwer, Principal Software Engineer,
Oracle Application Integration Engineering.
Phone:  +44 1506 672767, Mobile +44 7720 598 226
E-Mail: Peter.Brouwer at Oracle.com