[Openstack] [ceilometer] Troubleshooting Ceilometer

Tom Walsh expresswebsys at gmail.com
Wed Mar 2 03:57:09 UTC 2016

We currently have a working Liberty based Openstack deployment based
on Ubuntu LT 14.04 (2 controllers, 4 compute).

We have followed the instructions at
http://docs.openstack.org/liberty/install-guide-ubuntu/ceilometer-install.html
and everything seems to have installed correctly. No errors in the
logs, and nothing really obviously wrong.

However in the instructions there is this page
http://docs.openstack.org/liberty/install-guide-ubuntu/ceilometer-verify.html
that shows the output of meter-list, however our meter-list output is
blank.

Example output:

$ ceilometer meter-list
+--------------+-------+-------+--------------------------------------+---------+------------+
| Name         | Type  | Unit  | Resource ID
| User ID | Project ID |
+--------------+-------+-------+--------------------------------------+---------+------------+
| image        | gauge | image | acafc7c0-40aa-4026-9673-b879898e1fc2
| None    | cf12a15... |
| image.size   | gauge | B     | acafc7c0-40aa-4026-9673-b879898e1fc2
| None    | cf12a15... |
+--------------+-------+-------+--------------------------------------+---------+------------+

root at controller01:/var/log/ceilometer# ceilometer meter-list
+------+------+------+-------------+---------+------------+
| Name | Type | Unit | Resource ID | User ID | Project ID |

There are no errors output, and it seems the command completes correctly.

So where am I going wrong here? Is there a step I am missing? Or is
there something obvious I have missed?

We have enabled glance, nova-compute, and cinder from the
instructions, but we aren't seeing any data (at least according to the
instructions).

Tom Walsh
Expresshosting.net