[Openstack] The plot thickens (Was: Networking - next step?)

Kaustubh Kelkar kaustubh.kelkar at casa-systems.com
Wed Jun 29 20:36:36 UTC 2016

-----Original Message-----
From: Turbo Fredriksson [mailto:turbo at bayour.com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 29, 2016 3:44 PM
To: OpenStack Mailing List <openstack at lists.openstack.org>
Subject: [Openstack] The plot thickens (Was: Networking - next step?)

On Jun 29, 2016, at 8:05 PM, Turbo Fredriksson wrote:

So when I created the instance, I selected one such IP.
That, I assume, was supposed to be "eth1" (which don't have an address - OS isn't setting it for some reason).
[Kaustubh] That's because the CirrOS image you are using isn't configured to request a DHCP address on its eth1 (2nd) interface. Have a look at the /etc/network/interfaces file. Of course, if you know how many interfaces your VM is going to have, you can modify the image to pre-configure the interfaces (static/dynamic).

But if I set that manually, I can ping that IP from the rest of the network, including the physical one!

3. Why isn't the floating IP being set in the instance?
[Kaustubh] It resides within the L3 agent and is transparent to the VM.
--
You know, boys, a nuclear reactor is a lot like a woman.
You just have to read the manual and press the right buttons