[Openstack] [ceilometer] How to retrieve meters from rbd resources

Mehdi Abaakouk sileht at sileht.net
Wed Jun 29 14:59:40 UTC 2016

Hi Eugen,

Le 2016-06-29 16:30, Eugen Block a écrit :
>  This bug [1] describes the issue, but it seems to be a libvirt issue,
> not ceilometer.
>
> According to [2] it should be possible to retrieve those meters.
> I followed ceph docs to install the rados-gateway, I integrated
> keystone authentication, at least I don't get any errors regarding
> authentication and swift command seems to work.
> Then I added the meters described in [2] to the
> /etc/ceilometer/pipeline.yaml

Ceph RBD and Ceph RadosGW are differents applications (both on top Ceph
librados API)

So from Ceilometer point of view, meters collected on each applications
are different meters, we currently have:

* instances disks IOPS meters retrieved by Ceilometer throught libvirt.
(And currently broken for rbd backed instances)
* radosgw meters retrieved by ceilometer-polling-agent by polling the
Ceph RadosGW API directly.

> I believe I have completed all required steps, but I still get the
> libvirt errors in ceilometer (both kvm and xen hypervisor).

If you got this error, that means you did the thing right, but it's
bugged due to [1] as you notice.

> Now I'm starting to wonder if rados-gw really is the right choice
> here.

Yes, rados-gw meters seems unrelated to your use-case.

> Has anybody figured out a way to retrieve rbd meters with ceilometer?

That depends on the use-cases, if you want to get:

* instances disks IOPS, ceilometer-compute-agent and libvirt have to be
improved to retrieve them (that means fixing [1]).
* the raw rbd meters (image size and utilization), a new
ceilometer-polling-agent plugin needs to be written.
   (A poller that stat all rbd images directly have chance to be really
really slow).

AFAICR, nobody is currently working those two points, so contributions
welcome.

Cheers,
--
Mehdi Abaakouk