[Openstack] /31 subnet-pools

Sterdnot Shaken sterdnotshaken at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 16:12:59 UTC 2016

Let say I want to setup a subnet-pool that allocates /31's to customers out
of a larger block... In attempting this I see a few issues that I could
really use some help on:

  - The first /31 allocation out of ip space is the addresses 0 & 1
(10.10.10.0 & 1/31) and Neutron should choose the first address for the
Gateway address (.0) yet, it chooses .1... Why?

  - In allocating a /31, there are only 2 addresses available, one for the
DVR router (default gw to the VM) and one for the VM itself. In larger
subnets, it appears Neutron burns another address for the DHCP namespace.
     > Is there a way to run DHCP on a /31 while not having DHCP waste an
address?

  - SNAT also wants to burn another address... Considering I'm allocating
public space directly on the VM, I don't want SNAT (nor FIP) running at
all, so is there a way to eliminate that waste as well?

Thanks in advance!!