[Openstack] DVR and public IP consumption

Tomas Vondra vondra at czech-itc.cz
Wed Jan 20 15:28:00 UTC 2016

Tom Verdaat <tom at ...> writes:

> Hi Tomas,
> Actually the networking nodes, and in a DVR scenario the compute nodes,
don't need a public IP assigned to the node itself. All they need is a
networking interface connected to the "public" network. Only tenant routers
set as a gateway consume one public IP address each as overhead. You cannot
get around each tenant gateway router consuming an extra public IP address
itself as far as I know.

> Does that answer your question?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Tom

Well, yes, kind of. That is the behavior I am seeing. But to cite the blog
post by Assaf Muller:

"IP addresses! Legacy routers configure a routable address on their external
devices. It’s not wasted by any means because it is used for SNAT traffic.
With DVR, as we noticed in the previous blog post, we do the same. [...]
Instead, it was chosen to allocate a dedicated IP address for every (node,
external network) pair."

From this, I understood that the centralized SNAT agent will be centralized
to the degree that it will have only one IP address, not that every virtual
router will have a routable address on its external device.
Tomas

<vondra-l6WB4nJzLFygjssBaH+rSA at public.gmane.org>:Hi!
perhttp://assafmuller.com/2015/04/15/distributed-virtual-routing-floating-ips/,
> but it still eats one per virtual Router.
> What is the correct behavior?
> Otherwise, it works as a DVR should according to documentation. There are
> router namespaces at both compute and network nodes, snat namespaces at the
> network nodes and fip namespaces at the compute nodes. Every router has a
> router_interface_distributed and a router_centralized_snat with private IPs,
> however the router_gateway has a public IP, which I would like to getr id of
> to increase density.
> Thanks

nodes, don't need a public IP assigned to the node itself. All they need is
a networking interface connected to the "public" network. Only tenant
routers set as a gateway consume one public IP address each as overhead. You
cannot get around each tenant gateway router consuming an extra public IP
address itself as far as I know.<br><br>
dir="ltr"><<a href="mailto:vondra at ..."
class="gmail_quote">Hi!<br>
> I have just deployed an OpenStack Kilo installation with DVR and expected<br>
> that it will consume one Public IP per network node as per<br><a
href="http://assafmuller.com/2015/04/15/distributed-virtual-routing-floating-ips/"
rel="noreferrer"
target="_blank">http://assafmuller.com/2015/04/15/distributed-virtual-routing-floating-ips/</a>,<br>
> but it still eats one per virtual Router.<br>
> What is the correct behavior?<br>
> Otherwise, it works as a DVR should according to documentation. There are<br>
> router namespaces at both compute and network nodes, snat namespaces at
the<br>
> network nodes and fip namespaces at the compute nodes. Every router has a<br>
> router_interface_distributed and a router_centralized_snat with private
IPs,<br>