[Openstack] Protest against Glance V2 usability, it is worse than V1! Bring back "--location to image-create"! Or am I missing something here?

Flavio Percoco flavio at redhat.com
Wed Feb 24 15:38:40 UTC 2016

On Fri, Feb 19, 2016 at 10:17 PM, Martinx - ジェームズ <thiagocmartinsc at gmail.com
> wrote:

> Guys,
>
>  I want to formalize my protest against Glance V2 usability.
>
>  With Glance V1, you can straight away, add an image based on its remote
> URL location, then, Glance will download the image ONLY when someone launch
> it.
>
>  This is very cool and I can add, easily and automatically by Ansible, for
> example, dozens of images at once, right after deploying OpenStack.
>
>  However, this is much worse now, when with Glance V2, as follows:
>
> -----
> *** Glance V1 procedure:
>
>  1) Add an image and its remote location at once:
>
>  glance image-create --location
> http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/openstack/8.3.0/debian-8.3.0-openstack-amd64.qcow2
> --is-public true --name "Debian 8.3.0 - Jessie - 64-bit - Cloud Based
> Image" --container-format bare --disk-format qcow2
>
>  See it? Glance V1 is awesome!
>
> --
>
> *** Glance V2 procedure:
>
>  1) Add an Image WITHOUT a location:
>
>  glance image-create --visibility public --name \"Debian 8.3.0 - Jessie -
> 64-bit - Cloud Based Image\" --container-format bare --disk-format qcow2
>
>  2) Look (or parse somehow) the stdout, copy to clipboad the Image ID.
>
>  3) Add the location of the image:
>
>  glance location-add --url
> http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/openstack/8.3.0/debian-8.3.0-openstack-amd64.qcow2
> $PASTE_IMAGE_ID

Hey Thiago,

Thanks for your feedback.

I just wanted to provide some feedback on why this change was made. In V2,
the image location is a resource and you can have multiple locations per
image. In order to allow you to add locations, we had to add the
`location-add` subcommand. Then the `--location` argument was removed so
that we would have 1 way to do things rather than 2.

I do understand where your frustration comes from and I'd also prefer a
single command rather than 2 (or 3) but in this case consistency with the
API was favored over having 2 ways of doing things in the CLI.

Thanks again. I certainly hope glanceclient v2 is not causing you more
frustrations.
Flavio

--
@flaper87