[Openstack] [openstack][stackforge] incubation process

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Tue Sep 22 15:15:55 UTC 2015

On 2015-09-22 15:04:14 +0800 (+0800), Gareth wrote:
> Because of big tent, incubation process changes a little. I could see
> some projects are moved from authors' private github repo, not
> stackforge. My question is that is stackforge necessary anymore?

It was never the intent that projects had to "incubate in
StackForge" to join OpenStack officially, though it was always an
option and so because it happened frequently many assumed it was
required. Part of the reason for the "Big Tent" shift in governance
was to get rid of incubation entirely and allow projects to become
an official part of OpenStack with much less waiting and red tape.

That aside, the Git namespace "stackforge" is currently a cosmetic
implementation detail, not a semantic one, and its existence is
creating more problems than it solves. As a result, we have stopped
adding new projects with a "stackforge/" name prefix and only use
"openstack/" for those now. We've scheduled[*] to either retire or
rename all remaining repositories into the "openstack" namespace so
that we can cease utilizing the "stackforge" prefix. This change
does not convey any special meaning nor imply a difference in the
governance of those projects, rather simply that the "openstack"
namespace is no longer reserved strictly for official OpenStack
projects.

> Actually I hope yes, because I could make use of community's CI to
> verify my draft codes.

You can create unofficial projects in our infrastructure and then
later apply to the Technical Committee for official status if and
when you want. It's unusual to consider hosting an unofficial
project in our infrastructure unless you eventually intend for it to
join an existing official OpenStack project or form a new official
OpenStack project. The TC may at some point decide to make this a
more formal expectation, but for now there is no requirement to
obtain any official status for your project.

[*] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2015-August/073071.html
--
Jeremy Stanley