[Openstack] Openstack Kilo Vxlan tunnel single NIC setup

Andreas Scheuring scheuran at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Wed Oct 14 09:26:48 UTC 2015

Amir,

I haven't tried such a configuration so far - but I don't think it will
work.

So your goal is to get it running with a single NIC. So what should work
is the following setup:

Use br-ex as external bridge and plug your eth interface into it (Note
this will break IP connection, so better you log in via a separate
interface/mgmt console!! Otherwise you might be locked out!). Then
configure the ip that was on your eth interface on your br-ex (you will
get back ip connectivity via this ip). With this setup

- your tenant networks uses tunneling, while the ip used for it is the
br-ex IP
- your public network will be a flat network

Alternative, if you want a public vlan network:
- create a vlan device on top of your eth interface
- plug vlan device into br-ex
-> external network will do vlan and your tunnels will use your
interface ip

If you want a vxlan external network, you could do it similar like with
vlan, but using a vxlan device instead. I haven't tried configuring the
openvswitch external bridge for vxlan via Openstack so far.

Does that help?

--
Andreas
(IRC: scheuran)