[Openstack] Unable to associate floating ip into instance using Nova Cells and nova-network

Bruno Grazioli bruno.graziol at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 13:43:53 UTC 2015

Hi,

We've a Liberty/stable deployment from git repository using nova cells and
nova-network on each compute cell. We are able to perform standard
operations such as start, suspend, terminate vms, etc. but unable to
associate a floating ip to it. Checking the [source code](
https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/master/nova/compute/cells_api.py#L438)
is clear that this operation is supported in Nova Cells although this
method is not called in our setup - we've added logging to this method.

Investigating a bit further we found out that floating ip association is
done via the [network api](
https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/master/nova/api/openstack/compute/floating_ips.py#L236)
and it is not linked to the cell api call. We've tried to change the
*network\_api\_class* in nova.conf on the API Cell pointing to
ComputeCellsAPI as the documentation shows the same for
*compute\_api\_class* but no luck. In our setup we've nova-network running
on each compute cell and floating ip management is done on the api cell.

Here are my nova.conf files:

API Cell:
http://paste.openstack.org/show/9lyKm3m3XrkJbT3toB0h/

Compute Cell (All-in-one installation):
http://paste.openstack.org/show/iXQCviopyTdZIUs81NgG/

Is there a way to enable floating ips association in a Nova Cell
architecture using nova-network?

Many thanks,
Bruno.