[Openstack] openstack and vlans

James Denton james.denton at rackspace.com
Wed May 27 15:33:51 UTC 2015

Hello.

> Can I configure (let‘s say for a computer node)
> both the tunnel network and the management network on the same interface?
> (with configuring trunk port and two VLANs for this interface). <>
Yes, you can. In this case, the management (primary) interface of the compute node would be a vlan interface (ie. eth0.100), and the ‘local ip’ definition in ml2_conf.ini can specify that management address as the tunnel address. Depending on your plugin/driver, you could then put eth0 in the provider bridge (ie. br-eth0 or br-ex or whatever) when using OVS, or map your provider label to eth0 if using linuxbridge. You would want to avoid specifying vlan 100 as a provider or tenant network, but it should work fine in that configuration.

You could also go the other way and configure eth0 as the primary interface and use that addr as the tunnel address, then configure two vlan interfaces on the host that could serve in two distinct provider bridges (OVS) or be used for two flat networks with LinuxBridge. This is a tedious and limiting configuration, though.

James