[Openstack] [vtn-dev] Question about Openstack integration with OpenDayLight - VTN

Silvia Fichera fichera.sil at gmail.com
Mon May 25 08:43:54 UTC 2015

Hi,
thank you for your answers. I'm added in line the outputs:

venkatrangang at hcl.com>:

>  Hi Silvia,
>

> Thanks for your attempts using vtn and sorry for the delay in response.
>
> Please find the responses inline. Kindly let us know in case of any
> queries.
>

> Regards,
>
> Venkat G

I've added in /etc/network/interfaces

auto eth1
iface eth1 inet static

but when I do

ifup eth1

it says:
Missing required variable: address
Missing required configuration variables for interface eth1/inet.
Failed to bring up eth1. (If I do ifconfig there is no eth1)

> 3- Section Start ODL Controller:
>
>     it says: "After running ODL Controller, please ensure ODL Controller
> listens to the ports:6633,6653, 6640 and 8080"
>
>     How?
>

> In the ODL VM
>
> In linux, you can use the command netstat –tunpl to check if these ports
> are inn listen by the ODL process.
>
> For the ODL process ID, you can use ps –ef | grep java and identify it.

the output of netstat -tunpl is:
Active Internet connections (w/o servers)
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Address         State

tcp        0      0 devstack1.retis:ssh     10.30.2.103:51777
ESTABLISHED
tcp        0    164 devstack1.retis:ssh     10.30.2.103:51800
ESTABLISHED
tcp6       0      0 devstack1.retis:6633    devstack3.retis:33367
ESTABLISHED
tcp6       0      0 devstack1.retis:6633    devstack2.retis:33012
ESTABLISHED
tcp6       0      0 devstack1.retis:6633    ovs1.retis:48694
 ESTABLISHED
tcp6       0      0 devstack1.retis:6640    devstack4.retis:39856
ESTABLISHED
tcp6       0      0 devstack1.retis:6640    devstack2.retis:41845
ESTABLISHED
tcp6       0      0 localhost:12001         localhost:60197
ESTABLISHED
tcp6       0      0 devstack1.retis:6640    devstack3.retis:55595
ESTABLISHED
tcp6       0      0 devstack1.retis:6633    devstack2.retis:33013
ESTABLISHED
tcp6       0      0 localhost:60197         localhost:12001
ESTABLISHED
tcp6       0      0 devstack1.retis:6633    devstack4.retis:57327
ESTABLISHED

So I think it's fine. But the other command gave me: error: garbage option.
If I just try
ps | grep java there is no output.

> I can correctly stack my nodes.
>
> Than I have created a network and launched some istances.
>
> I tried to perform a ping from the instance's console, but when I do
> ifconfig there is no associated ip address so I can't ping neither the
> other instances nor external address.
>

> Moreover, when I tried to create a new instance I received this error:
>

> *Error: *Failed to launch instance "my_instance3": Please try again later
> [Error: No valid host was found. Exceeded max scheduling attempts 3 for
> instance 07d91b46-e3e9-4f99-bf34-9b1d886226fd. Last exception: [u'Traceback
> (most recent call last):\n', u' File
> "/opt/stack/nova/nova/compute/manager.py", line 2053, in
> _do_build_and_run_in].
>

> also if there are no instances launched.
>

> In attachment you can find my local.conf (local.conf-controller is
> referred to the Openstack controller node, local.conf is referred to the
> compute nodes).
>

> <response>
>

> I ‘ve checked your local.conf,  Please make the lies 9 and 14 inn both
> compute and control niodes
>
> RECLONE=yes
>
> #OFFLINE=True
>
> (remove the commets)
>

> Please check the following in both nodes aennsure they are fine
>

> Sudo ovs-vsctl show in both nodes
>
> Please send the details so that we ca debug this further.

Result of ovs.vsctl show in the controller node:
Manager "tcp:10.30.3.231:6640"
        is_connected: true
    Bridge "br0"
        Controller "tcp:10.30.3.231:6633"
            is_connected: true
        Port "br0"
            Interface "br0"
                type: internal
    Bridge br-int
        Controller "tcp:10.30.3.231:6633"
            is_connected: true
        fail_mode: secure
        Port "eth1"
            Interface "eth1"
    ovs_version: "2.0.2"

Result in the compute node:
Manager "tcp:10.30.3.231:6640"
        is_connected: true
    Bridge br-int
        Controller "tcp:10.30.3.231:6633"
            is_connected: true
        fail_mode: secure
        Port "eth1"
            Interface "eth1"
    ovs_version: "2.0.2"

With this setting right now I can lauch instances but I'm not able to let
them ping each other or assign them floating IP to exchange data in
internet.
I should also connect the compute nodes to an OVSwitch located in another
VM to build up the data network. Also because in the ODL GUI I can't see
any link that connects OVS. (How to eventually connect mininet?)

Thank you again

Silvia

> Thanks for your support.
>
> Regards
>

> --
>
> Silvia Fichera
>

> ::DISCLAIMER::

> E-mail transmission is not guaranteed to be secure or error-free as
> information could be intercepted, corrupted,
> lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or may contain viruses in
> transmission. The e mail and its contents
> (with or without referred errors) shall therefore not attach any liability
> on the originator or HCL or its affiliates.
> Views or opinions, if any, presented in this email are solely those of the
> author and may not necessarily reflect the
> views or opinions of HCL or its affiliates. Any form of reproduction,
> dissemination, copying, disclosure, modification,
> distribution and / or publication of this message without the prior
> written consent of authorized representative of
> HCL is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error
> please delete it and notify the sender immediately.
> Before opening any email and/or attachments, please check them for viruses
> and other defects.

Silvia Fichera