[Openstack] Trying compiling the OpenStack Swift

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Sun May 10 23:58:44 UTC 2015

On 31 March 2015 at 04:05, Christian Schwede
<christian.schwede at enovance.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> actually there is a small gap in the docs you stumbled upon :(
> The Swift developers are currently working on integrating Erasure
> Coding, and thus a new dependency was added. The dependency itself
> requires a library that is not available on your system.

Actually no - the dependency vendors the C library in. (The
tastefulness of that is a separate discussion :)). The actual issue is
likely one of:
 - the C tooling needed to build the 3 dependent C libraries is not
present. It needs make, and a C compiler.
 - PyECLib was uninstalled after installing its vendored versions,
which breaks subsequent installs:
https://bitbucket.org/kmgreen2/pyeclib/issue/62/pip-install-uninstall-install-errors-with

I found that removing the .so and .h's from the installed vendored
library was enough to allow the setup.py glue to succeed on a
subsequent install.

-Rob

--
Robert Collins <rbtcollins at hp.com>