[Openstack] Snapshot size in OpenStack

Avishay Traeger avishay at stratoscale.com
Wed Jun 17 05:13:58 UTC 2015

Short answer: no :-)

Long answer:
Cinder reports the provisioned size, and not the physical size, for both
volumes and snapshots.  For example, when you create the volume, the
storage may not allocate any physical space if it does lazy allocation, but
the size reported is still 1GB and it uses 1GB of quota.  Similarly, the
snapshot is 1GB of provisioned space and uses 1GB of quota, even though it
uses close to zero physical space.  This is because quotas in Cinder refer
to provisioned capacity, not physical.

In my opinion this is what most/all providers want.  They want to limit the
amount a user can provision, and hide the physical properties of the
storage.  In fact, Cinder doesn't even know about the physical capacity of
each volume and snapshot, and many storage systems don't even know how to
calculate that information accurately (after thin provisioning, dedup,
compression, etc.).

On Tue, Jun 16, 2015 at 10:36 AM, Abhishek Shrivastava <
abhishek at cloudbyte.com> wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> I am using DevStack Master setup and created a 1 GB volume using its
> Horizon. But while creating its snapshot I found out that it is taking the
> same size as that of volume(i.e; 1 GB).
>
> However, I am using a third-party cinder driver whose snapshot's are COW
> based which consumes only the block diff as its size. But in OpenStack the
> snapshot uses the same size as that of volume which eventually leads to
> QUOTA Exceed errors.
>
> I would like to know if there is any way to set the OpenStack snapshot
> size equal to the backend storage's snapshot size?
>
> --
>

> *Thanks & Regards,*
> *Abhishek*
> *Cloudbyte Inc. <http://www.cloudbyte.com>*