[Openstack] What code structure is recommended for a Neutron plugin( L2 and L3)?

Sam Su susltd.su at gmail.com
Tue Jun 16 02:34:42 UTC 2015

Hi stackers,

I am going to implement a Neutron plugin, however when I checked the current
Neutron code(master) structure, I found there are two way to organize a
Neutron plugin:

1.       The first one is implement all L2 and L3 functions under the folder
../neutron/plugins/xxx, e.g. vmware, plumgrid, and ibm.

2.       The second way is put L2 functions on the folder
../neutron/plugins/ml2/drivers/xxx and put L3 funtions on the folder
../neutron/services/l3_router/xxx, e.g. brocade, cisco.

If my understanding is correct, which way is more desirable for a neutron
plugin? If I am wrong, what is a neutron plugin code structure?

Any help will be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Sam