[Openstack] live migration of instances

Yngvi Páll Þorfinnsson yngvith at siminn.is
Thu Jun 11 09:56:05 UTC 2015

Hi

I have installed and configured OpenStack(Juno) environment on Ubuntu(14.04).
We have currently 1 controller node, 3 network nodes and 4 compute nodes as well as 4 swift nodes.
I'm using OpenStack Networking (neutron).

I was thinking of doing a "live migration" of several instances, if I need to do a OS upgrade on  a compute node.
For the task of configuring "live magration" I've been reading this document:

OpenStack Cloud Administrator Guide
current (2015-05-21)
Copyright © 2013-2015 OpenStack Foundation Some rights reserved.

I can quickly see it's necessary to add this line to the nova.conf file ( on computer nodes):

live_migration_flag=VIR_MIGRATE_UNDEFINE_SOURCE,VIR_MIGRATE_PEER2PEER,
VIR_MIGRATE_LIVE, VIR_MIGRATE_TUNNELLED

Also, it seems I need to configure a NFS mount og the dir
/var/lib/nova/instances
and thus configures file system access between all compute nodes.

My question is:
Is this the only way to configure a Live migration of instances in Openstack ?  i.e. configure a nfs mount of directories?

Best regards
Yngvi