[Openstack] Test environment for Openstack

gustavo panizzo <gfa> gfa at zumbi.com.ar
Fri Jul 31 10:50:00 UTC 2015

On Fri, Jul 31, 2015 at 10:39:33 +0200, Thomas Bruckmann wrote:
> Hi there,
> I am looking for a good solution to build a test environment.
> And I am wondering if someone already built something.
I use 3 different test environment with different characteristics

- VMs running on my production cloud
  I run change tests there, I rebuild the VMs and configure them using
  saltstack to match very closely my prod environment, when I want to change
  something on my production cloud, I test here before.

  I have 3 of this groups of VM actually, one running icehouse, other
  running kilo, other running ceph.

- libvirt-lxc containers on my laptop
  When I develop salt states or try new OpenStack releases or something
  more extreme I do it here.
  Also i talk about it in public so I like to carry it with me.
  Older OpenStack releases are not very easy to put inside of a
  container but kilo has no problems :)

  The salt states I use for this are here
  https://github.com/gfa/salt-for-openstack

- dedicated hypervisors on my production cloud
  I have a variable number of hypervisors which are disabled and/or in a
  non-public AZ which I use for performance testing. Also I use those
  hypervisors as a buffer, some of them come from production after
  hardware failures and others go there to replace the failed ones.

> I have 6 physical server for this environment and the following should
> be possible:
> - Return to a working state after something went wrong

I don't like to use physical servers for testing, since reinstall is not
as easy as vm/container, in my $WORK install is not even handled by my
team making it too slow, plus if I want to test network stuff I have to
talk to another team to isolate switches or vlans and is just too much
work.

> - Build a complete clean new environment by one click

I don't have any webconsole or anything like that, a bash script kicks
the rebuild of vm/containers, install salt on it then salt finish the
job

> My first idea is to encapsulate the services in docker containers (a
> container for each service) but maybe someone has much better idea?

I don't use docker for testing as I don't use it for production. I do
use system containers in test (not yet in production)
I would suggest you to use something similar to what you do on
production, as much as you can/have sense
Ideally you should be using the same tools, the same
states,manifests,recipes,etc.

> Cheers,
> Thomas

(shameless plug), I gave a talk about this topic, the slides are here
http://goo.gl/a37n2E the code I've used is on the url I pasted above

--
1AE0 322E B8F7 4717 BDEA BF1D 44BB 1BA7 9F6C 6333

keybase: http://keybase.io/gfa