[Openstack] cinder-snapshot -vs- cinder-backup?

Sebastien Han sebastien.han at enovance.com
Fri Jan 30 22:39:21 UTC 2015

One of the extra benefit could be that you’re doing backup on another Ceph cluster (potentially on another location).
However this will never prevent you from corruption since if corruption already occurred then it will be replicated.

Like Erik mentioned a catastrophic situation were you lose all the monitors and get corrupted fs/leveldb store (just happened to someone on the ceph ML) would be a disaster.
Having another healthy cluster can be useful.

> On 30 Jan 2015, at 20:35, Erik McCormick <emccormick at cirrusseven.com> wrote:
>
> It doesn't buy you a lot in that sort of setup, but it would put it in a different pool and thus different placement groups and OSDs. It could potentially protect you from data loss in some catastrophic situation.
>
> -Erik
>
> On Fri, Jan 30, 2015 at 2:08 PM, Jonathan Proulx <jon at jonproulx.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I can see the obvious distinction between cinder-snapshot and
> cinder-backup being that snapshots would live on the same storage back
> end as the active volume (using that ever snapshotting that provides)
> where the backup would be to different storage.
>
> We're using Ceph for volume and object storage so it seems like
> running cinder-backup in that case (with active, snap, and backup
> would be all in essentially the same backend) would not make a whole
> lot of sense.
>
> Is my thinking right on this or are there advantages of 'backup' over
> 'snapshot' that I'm not considering?
>
> -Jon

Cheers.
––––
Sébastien Han
Cloud Architect

"Always give 100%. Unless you're giving blood."

Phone: +33 (0)1 49 70 99 72
Mail: sebastien.han at enovance.com
Address : 11 bis, rue Roquépine - 75008 Paris
Web : www.enovance.com - Twitter : @enovance