[Openstack] Failure and Membership detection in Swift

Behrooz Shafiee shafiee01 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 30 20:56:55 UTC 2015

Hello All,

 Unfortunately, I could not find any academic paper which describes Swift
in academic terms, most of documents are user manual and general overview.
I need to know some details about Swift which I could not find in the
public documents.
1) How does membership detection works in Swift (discovering newly added
nodes)?
Digging this link
<http://docs.openstack.org/developer/swift/overview_ring.html>, I realized
unlike many other systems (Dynamo, Cassandra,...) Swift does not use a
gossip based protocol. And it seems that it is being handled by the concept
of Rings;however, what is a Ringbuilder? is it a central service or a
distributed protocol? what if it fails? How rings info and its changes are
shared among different nodes?

2)How failure detection works in Swift?
Going through OpenStack Swift book by Joe Arnold, I realized a
timeout-based mechanism by health-monitor is in charge of finding failures.
Is that correct?

Thanks in advance,
--
Behrooz