[Openstack] VM Isolation

Antonio Messina antonio.s.messina at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 10:33:44 UTC 2015

On Thu, Jan 22, 2015 at 11:01 AM, Georgios Dimitrakakis
<giorgis at acmac.uoc.gr> wrote:
> FlatDHCP Manager is a different type of network manager.
> Openstack's Legacy networking has three of them: FlatManager,
> FlatDHCPManager and VlanManager
>
> I was under the impression that you were suggesting the creation of two
> "flat" networks and not two with different VLAN IDs, which now is clearly
> what you have suggested.
>
> In any case my initial question remains: Can I have two different VLAN IDs
> in the same tenant? Is this what you are suggesting?

I think you can create multiple networks using "nova-manage network
create" and you can also have different networks for different
tenants, using the "--project_id" option.

When booting the machine using the nova command line you can specify
the network id (which is not visible with the "nova net-list" command,
you will have to use the uuid printed by "nova-managet network list"
command). The command will look like:

    nova boot --nic net-id=<uuid>

However, I'm not sure what will happen when you start a new instance
without the "--nic" option: are both network assigned to the VM or
only the default one?

Also, I don't know if euca-start-instances allows you to specify the
network, nor if there are EC2 APIs to do so.

.a.

antonio.s.messina at gmail.com
antonio.messina at uzh.ch                     +41 (0)44 635 42 22
S3IT: Service and Support for Science IT   http://www.s3it.uzh.ch/