[Openstack] instance_info_caches table, nova not populating for some instances

Don Waterloo don.waterloo at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 02:50:09 UTC 2015

On 20 January 2015 at 14:04, Don Waterloo <don.waterloo at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 20 January 2015 at 13:22, Nathanael Burton <
> nathanael.i.burton at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Don,
>>
>> I created this bug [1] for Nova a while ago which sounds similar to the
>> problem you're having although we were running nova-network not neutron.  I
>> proposed a fix [1] for that bug but it never got merged because I didn't
>> have time to write the tests.
>>
>> [1] - https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1378459
>> [2] - https://review.openstack.org/126633
>>
>> Nate

It seems there may be a circular issue. What ends up happening is that in
nova/network/neutronv2/api.py, in _gather_port_ids_and_networks()... when I
come in there and my cache is set to [] (e.g. trying to heal or reconcile),
it calls:
    ifaces = compute_utils.get_nw_info_for_instance(instance)

which in turn goes and tries to fill the cache.

So while trying to fill the cache, one of the things it relies on must
already be in the cache. Since its not there, it gets [] for the ifaces,
which in turn makes [] for the ports, and it all falls apart.