[Openstack] BUG: soft lockup messages

John Griffith john.griffith at solidfire.com
Sat Jan 3 16:56:04 UTC 2015

On Sat, Jan 3, 2015 at 5:05 AM, Matej Mailing <mailing at tam.si> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> we are experiencing randomly-timed soft lockup messages in different
> instances (running CentOS, Ubuntu, etc.) with different processes and
> on different compute nodes. I suspect that access to the cinder
> storage via NFS could be the cause of issue, but then perhaps all the
> instances would trigger the error message on the same time? Currently
> they don't and no higher access loads are repoted on the NFS server
> itself, neither the load is higher at those times ...
> What are the best methods to debug this error? Any suggestions and
> expeiences on fixing it will be very welcome :-)
>
> Thanks,
> Matej

Hi Matej,

I'm assuming the kernel logs indicate NFS as the culprit here? What
sort of IO load are you seeing on the system when these are
encountered?

A quick search on "soft lockup nfs" has a pretty lengthy list of
results including some setting recommendations etc.  Maybe start
there?

Thanks,
John