[Openstack] [ceilometer] Monitoring resources outside OpenStack

Pradeep Sathasivam (CW) psathasi at Brocade.com
Wed Aug 26 11:12:19 UTC 2015

Thanks Shinobu. I still don’t understand how this resource will be managed as it is outside of openstack.

Regards,
Pradeep. S

From: Shinobu [mailto:shinobu.kj at gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 25, 2015 6:32 PM
To: Pradeep Sathasivam (CW)
Cc: openstack at lists.openstack.org
Subject: Re: [Openstack] [ceilometer] Monitoring resources outside OpenStack

Yes, it's possible using inspectors.
Shinobu

On Tue, Aug 25, 2015 at 7:53 PM, Pradeep Sathasivam (CW) <psathasi at brocade.com<mailto:psathasi at brocade.com>> wrote:
Hi,

I am trying to use ceilometer to monitor a physical switch/router connected to a compute node. Is it possible to achieve using ceilometer pollster?

If yes, I have few questions.

1. From where do I get the resource ID for the device. (Since router/switch is outside of OpenStack)
2. I am planning to get the credentials of the device from ml2/neutron conf. Will it be possible to read the conf from ceilometer service.
3. To create a new metric is it enough to create entry in /etc/ceilometer/pipeline.yaml?

Regards,
Pradeep. S