[Openstack] Icehouse - Basic Network Configuration

Antonio Messina arcimboldo at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 19:06:38 UTC 2015

On Thu, Aug 13, 2015 at 6:51 PM, Lloyd <lloydkl.tech at gmail.com> wrote:
> In the basic network configuration (neutron) stage, we set up the tunnel
> interfaces and management interfaces. In the network node, the doc says to
> leave the external network without IP.  Then in the verification stage it is
> suggested to ping to some external node. But without IP, how can my external
> interface could communicate? Our OpenStack setup resides on a LAN.

Just asking, but why are you using Icehouse, which is EOL, instead of
Kilo? Besides, the installation guide for Icehouse seems a bit poor.

Assuming you are using OpenVSwitch for networking, you usually need to:

* create an OVS switch "br-ex"
* attach to the br-ex switch the physical interface connected to the
external network
* neutron will attach to br-ex any interface of any router that is
connected to the external network

As a consequence, you cannot assign an IP to the physical interface,
because it just won't work. Instead, if you need to assign an IP on
that external network and you don't have an additional interface on
that network, you should be able to assign the IP directly to br-ex
(you could also create an OVS port and attach it to the br-ex switch,
but it's a bit more complex)

BTW, kilo documentation is way more detailed, for instance from
http://docs.openstack.org/kilo/install-guide/install/apt/content/ch_basic_environment.html#basics-neutron-networking-network-node

    To highlight the importance of network separation, the example
    architectures use private address space for the management network
    and assume that network infrastructure provides Internet access via NAT

which is probably true also for the icehouse documentation, although
not explicitly stated in the doc.

.a.