[Openstack] Icehouse - Basic Network Configuration

Lloyd lloydkl.tech at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 16:51:12 UTC 2015

Hi,

We are trying to setup OpenStack Icehouse  by exactly following the
documentation for Ubuntu 14.4.

http://docs.openstack.org/icehouse/install-guide/install/apt/content/basics-neutron-networking-network-node.html

In the basic network configuration (neutron) stage, we set up the tunnel
interfaces and management interfaces. In the network node, the doc says to
leave the external network without IP.  Then in the verification stage it
is suggested to ping to some external node. But without IP, how can my
external interface could communicate? Our OpenStack setup resides on a LAN.

This is the present content of our /etc/network/interfaces file.

The external network interface
auto INTERFACE_NAME
iface INTERFACE_NAME inet manual
up ip link set dev $IFACE up
down ip link set dev $IFACE down

Are we supposed to do something to assign IP address to the external
interface? In our LAN all the systems get IP through DHCP.

Some Help/Hint/Suggestion is very much appreciated.

Thanks a lot,
  Lloyd