[Openstack] [Fuel] problem resolving node name only on ssh

Pedro Velho pedro.velho at gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 14:11:20 UTC 2015

Hi everybody,

I am new around here so sorry if I am doing something wrong posting my
question on the wrong track. The thing is that I am fighting against the
clock with this project and I stuck on deploying OpenStack with fuel.

I am installing openstack on a virtualbox environment using
fuel-community-6.0.iso, the fuel version is the last one from the public
git repository, checkout and rebased this morning. My host is a Fedora 21
with kernel 3.19.3, and virtualbox 4.3.26.

I configure a simple deployment with 5 machines: 2 compute, 2 storage ceph
OSD, and 1 controller. When deploying openstack, the installation of ubuntu
runs smoothly, the problem happens during openstack installation. What
exactly happens is an error like below on all compute and storage nodes:

2015-04-23 13:52:33ERR

 (/Stage[main]/Ceph::Conf/Exec[ceph-deploy config pull]/returns)
change from notrun to 0 failed: ceph-deploy --overwrite-conf config
pull node-1 returned 1 instead of one of [0]

This error means that there is no ssh route to node-1. I manually checked
on the node in question and doing a simple ssh to node-1 won' t work, like
this:

root at node-4:~# ssh -v node-1
debug1: connect to address 192.168.0.1
ssh: connect to host node-1 port 22: No route to host

Indeed it makes sense that ceph-deploy does not reach node-1, it is solving
the name incorrectly
on the ssh command. However if I manually try to resolve node-1 for a name
I get a correct IP:

root at node-4:~# nslookup node-1
Address: 10.20.0.4

So there is clearly a problem in the way that node-1 is being resolved.
Could you please help me getting this to work. Any help would be very much
appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Pedro