[Openstack] Multiple cinder lvm nodes

John Griffith john.griffith at solidfire.com
Mon Apr 6 13:39:16 UTC 2015

On a single node using multi-backend you should keep in mind all of your
iSCSI traffic going through that node.  Usual VG size limits apply of
course as well.  Some guidelines I've heard from various OpenStack vendors
in the past suggest 5TB max on a single cinder-volume/LVM node.  From there
add more nodes (additional nodes, not multi-backend on the same node).

One of the biggest advantages and drivers for multi-backend was due to the
fact that third party devices require little of the volume-node, using LVM
however is a different story.