[Openstack] Latency of Neutron's floatingip-associate operation?

Salvatore Orlando sorlando at nicira.com
Fri Apr 3 10:50:27 UTC 2015

6 minutes is surely the symptom of something wrong. The RPC is
asynchronous. A router_updated notification is sent from the server side as
soon as the floating IP is associated.
The l3 agent apparently is either missing or processing this notification
with a huge delay. Indeed the floating IP might be eventually associated
even if the notification is missed since every operation which changes a
logical router state triggers a complete resync of that router's state.

In order to understand what is going on, I have a few additional questions:
- are there enormous delays even when adding/removing router interfaces, or
setting the router's gateway?
- when you associate a floating IP, how long does it take for the status of
the floating IP to be set to ACTIVE? Is it still 6 minutes, is it less, or
does the status never get to active even if the floating IP is actually
working?

Salvatore