[Openstack] Latency of Neutron's floatingip-associate operation?

Mike Spreitzer mspreitz at us.ibm.com
Thu Apr 2 14:54:05 UTC 2015

> I think I am seeing a latency on the order of 10 seconds between (a)
> the time Neutron returns success from that operation and (b) the
> time when the association is actually functioning.  Is this sort of
> latency to be expected?  I am using Juno, ML2, OVS, and GRE, if it
matters.

Sorry, I goofed when I calculated the time; I saw about 6 minutes between
the return from the floatingip-associate operation and when it took
effect.  Is the RPC from Neutron server to L3 agent synchronous with that
API operation?

In this situation I had about 300 floating IPs spread over 4 routers, all
served by one L3 agent.

Thanks,
Mike