[Openstack] Getting started with OpenStack

Stefano Maffulli stefano at openstack.org
Tue Sep 30 17:39:24 UTC 2014

Hi Saloni

On 09/30/2014 09:12 AM, Saloni Baweja wrote:
> I am an aspirant for OPW and did find projects like Wikimedia,
> Evergreen interesting and have bit more inclination towards OpenStack.
> But I have no idea about cloud storage, their working etc and am just
> a beginner. It would be great if I get guidance about how to start
> understanding what exactly OpenStack is.

The first thing to acknowledge is that OpenStack is a very complex
project dealing in a very complex domain. Nobody really gets a high
degree of familiarity with OpenStack as a whole immediately. You may
want to start from the high level descriptions of the wider OpenStack on

http://www.openstack.org/software/

and then move down one of its components to dive deeper. Depending on
your interests and your skills, you may want to avoid looking at the
projects with highest complexity (skip Nova and Neutron, for example).

Make sure to join the IRC channel #openstack-opw on freenode.net to chat
with other (ex)participants to OPW and mentors.

HTH
stef