[Openstack] Nova guest NUMA placement questions

Robert van Leeuwen Robert.vanLeeuwen at spilgames.com
Fri Sep 26 13:43:26 UTC 2014

> I'm new to OpenStack development and would like to test the upcoming
> NUMA features in Nova, particularly with regards to this blueprint:

>4. How to test whether a guest topology is actually using the memory
> from the NUMA node it is specified to run on?
>    - Can this be verified at the libvirt level?
>   - Is there a way by querying /proc/PID the memory map/cpu allocation?

You can run numastat, e.g. show memory allocation of all qemu processes:
numastat -p qemu

Note that there is a numad daemon that actually also optimizes a system for numad.
Seems to be pretty efficient at placing machines within our cloud (looking at numastat)

This gives some explaination on it:
https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Performance_Tuning_Guide/main-cpu.html

P.S.
We have hit a bug with large mysql databases and numad (kernel panics) so we only run it on our hypervisors (which is rock solid).

Cheers,
Robert van Leeuwen