[Openstack] Nova guest NUMA placement questions

Sean Toner placeoftheway at gmail.com
Fri Sep 26 12:54:38 UTC 2014

Hello,

I'm new to OpenStack development and would like to test the upcoming
NUMA features in Nova, particularly with regards to this blueprint:

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/virt-driver-numa-placement

However, I'm a bit hazy with regards to several things.  For example:

1. What happens on an overcommit for the number of guest CPUs?
   - For example, if I have a system with 2 sockets 4 cores each, what
would happen if I have 2 guests, each one wanting 6 cores (assuming this
is not in violation of the hw:cpu_max_cores)?
2. What happens on an overcommit on memory?
3. It wasn't clear from the blueprint, but will the host NUMA stats be
revealed to the user so he can make a more informed decision about the
topology he wants?
   - If yes, how is the host information retrieved?
4. How to test whether a guest topology is actually using the memory
from the NUMA node it is specified to run on?
   - Can this be verified at the libvirt level?
   - Is there a way by querying /proc/PID the memory map/cpu allocation?

Thanks,
Sean