[Openstack] two questions on cinder

Xu (Simon) Chen xchenum at gmail.com
Tue Sep 23 18:35:28 UTC 2014

Hi all,

I have not closely looked at the most recent cinder release, so my
questions might be already addressed.

For the version that I am using, we have the following two problems:
1) My volumes are hosted on the same ceph cluster, but they're tied to a
particular cinder-volume node they're created on. I run multiple
cinder-volume nodes for HA, but if cinder-volume node A goes down, the
other cinder-volume nodes won't be able to delete volumes created on node
A. I wonder there is a way to tie a volume to a set of cinder-volume nodes.

2) Removing a (big) volume takes a long time on ceph, and I wonder if there
is a way to run a few cinder-volume nodes just for removal, for example,
removing a VM would only dump the volumes to a delete queue, which is
processed by some dedicated cinder-volume nodes just for removing volumes.

I remember hearing Dreamhost talking about 2) in the last Summit, but not
sure if it actually made it to the upstream.

Thanks.
-Simon