[Openstack] is anyone using zeromq for RPC?

James Page james.page at ubuntu.com
Sat Sep 13 06:32:12 UTC 2014

Hi Li/Doug

On 12/09/14 11:35, Li Ma wrote:
>> - documentation for how to configure and use zeromq with
>> oslo.messaging (note, not the version in oslo-incubator, the
>> version in the messaging library repository) - a list of the
>> critical bugs that need to be fixed - any existing patches
>> associated with those bugs, so they can be reviewed early in
>> kilo - an analysis of what it would take to be able to run
>> functional tests for zeromq on our CI infrastructure, not
>> necessarily the full tempest run or devstack-gate job, probably
>> functional tests we place in the tree with the driver (we will be
>> doing this for all of the drivers) - besides writing new
>> functional tests, we need to bring the unit tests for zeromq into
>> the oslo.messaging repository
> I'll first do the bug analysis and deployment doc. Hopefully the
> draft will be finished next week.

I can help with that; my team spent some time last week sprinting on
ZeroMQ support in Oslo Messaging/OpenStack to assess its potential for
scale and current state so I think we've already answered quite a few
of those questions, as well as started work on getting unit and
functional tests up and running for the ZMQ driver.

We also managed to persuade Pieter Hintjens (ZeroMQ upstream) to pop
by and review the overall design of ZMQ driver - he gave it a general
+1 and we have a list of longer term improvements to make.

Li - I'll ping you directly to co-ordinate on this activity next week
and then we can come back to list to report the details.

>> It would also be useful, frankly, to have some idea of whether
>> there is interest beyond the two teams who have reported trying
>> to use it so far. If it’s only interesting to you, we might split
>> the driver out of oslo.messaging and let you maintain it
>> separately. If there is wide interest, I would lean towards
>> keeping it in the tree where it is now.
> Yes, it makes sense. I'm not sure who is using it or trying to use
> it. As far as I know, ZeroMQ never got attention although it is the
> only broker-less method in OpenStack.

The scale potential is very appealing and is something I want to test
- - hopefully in the next month or so.

Canonical are interested in helping to maintain this driver and
hopefully we help address any critical issues prior to Juno release.

Regards

James

- --
James Page