[Openstack] is anyone using zeromq for RPC?

Li Ma skywalker.nick at gmail.com
Wed Sep 10 11:27:50 UTC 2014

On 2014/9/8 23:11, Doug Hellmann wrote:
>> I would love to try to get them done step by step.
> And I would be happy to have your help doing that! Do you or your team have resources to contribute?

I'm from Awcloud, an IaaS provider in China. We built our OpenStack
clouds based on ZeroMQ in multiple DCs during this year.

As I stated in the last thread, we've contributed several patches. The
last one to make it work is reworked now.

AFAIK, ZeroMQ is non-AMQP low-level communication method, so there are
some gaps which cannot be ignored, how it works, how the nodes
communicate with each other via ZeroMQ driver, how to make it run, how
to debug, any tuning methods for production, etc. Actually, it seems
that every aspect is totally different from AMQP-based methods, like
qpid or rabbitmq. Everything needs to be documented to guide people who
are interested in this driver.

I just noticed that dropping ZeroMQ is on the plan:
https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/kilo-oslo-summit-topics

Damnit, I lost previous discussions on this topic. I'm mainly working in
other projects in most of the time. Right now, I'm willing to contribute
from now on. My colleagues are also available to help.

> Yes, Josh mentioned that in another message in this thread. It does
> sound like a potentially useful approach, although given the
> expectations of oslo.messaging right now I’m not sure how to make it
> work or if it would actually be easier than updating the current
> driver. It is definitely worth investigating. Doug

Yes, it's great that someone is working on that way.

ZeroMQ driver test cases are developing.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/oslo.messaging/+bug/1302941

I'm not sure the progress, but I can try to link him and see if we can
work together to get it done. Meanwhile, I'll start to investigate other
must-do. OK, actually I'm not very clear about the priorities of
must-do. So, Doug, what do you think of it?

cheers,
Li Ma