[Openstack] Architecture Compute Beginner Question

Tom Fifield tom at openstack.org
Tue Sep 9 09:53:38 UTC 2014

On 09/09/14 17:38, Christos Grivas wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have a fundamental question which, hopefully, someone here can answer.
> I will ask by presenting a probably non-realistic example.
>
> Lets say I have 10 compute nodes as separate physical machines  with 1
> core each. Without taking into account the ability to overload each core
> (the famous 16:1) I would like to know:
>
> *Can i use all the 10 cores to create a single instance that takes
> advantage of the all the core pool?* Or the fact that each compute node
> has its own hypervisor limits the core usage of each instance to one?
> Are the whole resources abstracted and seen as one or not?
>
> Thank you in advance.

Hi Chris,

Thanks for looking into OpenStack! Your question has been asked and
answered previously at:

https://ask.openstack.org/en/question/1230/are-cpu-memory-pooled/

https://ask.openstack.org/en/question/32877/multiple-compute-for-one-instance-is-it-possible/

https://ask.openstack.org/en/question/7925/can-vms-use-paralleled-cpus/

https://ask.openstack.org/en/question/6932/cores-from-multiple-physical-hosts-in-vm/

However, there has been some work going on recently around NUMA  - that
might be worth looking into if you have such a requirement.

Regards,

Tom