[Openstack] is anyone using zeromq for RPC?

Antonio Messina antonio.s.messina at gmail.com
Mon Sep 8 14:35:37 UTC 2014

Hi All,

We tested briefly ZeroMQ with Havana last year, but we couldn't find
any good documentation on how to implement it, and we were not able to
get it working. We also got the impression that the support was not at
all mature, so we decided to use RabbitMQ instead.

However, I must say that the broker-less design of ZeroMQ is very
appealing, and we would like to give it a try, assuming
1) the documentation is improved
2) there is some assurance that support for ZeroMQ is not going to be dropped.

I can help with 1) if there is someone that knows a bit of the
internals and can bootstrap me, because I have no first hand
experience on how message queues are used in OpenStack, and little
experience with ZeroMQ.

About 2), well this is a decision for the developers, but IMHO there
*should* be support for ZeroMQ in OpenStack: its broker-less
architecture would eliminate a SPoF (the message broker), could ease
the deployment (especially in HA setup) and grant very high
performance.

My 2 cents...

Antonio Messina

antonio.s.messina at gmail.com