[Openstack] is anyone using zeromq for RPC?

Li Ma skywalker.nick at gmail.com
Mon Sep 8 14:00:38 UTC 2014

Hi Doug,

It is sad that it may be abandoned in future OpenStack release. ZeroMQ is fantastic messaging library because it is broker-less and can be fully distributed. It is really useful in large-scale deployment scenario.

Currently we are using ZeroMQ as the message queue implementation in our production systems from Havana. We've deployed this method in multiple DCs. Abandon ZeroMQ is a great loss. AFAIK, the following can be done to make it active in OpenStack ecosystem.

(1) Provide tuning parameters for ZeroMQ context and sockets in order to fine-tune ZeroMQ for different deployment scenario.

(2) Provide comprehensive test cases for ZeroMQ.

(3) Support Devstack.

(4) Provide installation tutorial in OpenStack docs.

(5) Provide suggestions on real deployment architecture in OpenStack docs.

I would love to try to get them done step by step.

By the way, I just noticed that kombu supports ZeroMQ. I wonder how it support direct/topic/fanout. Maybe we can try the kombu way to simplify the current impl_zmq implementation. But it needs further investigation.

cheers,
Li Ma