[Openstack] OpenStack On Debian Jessie

Thomas Goirand thomas at goirand.fr
Sun Sep 7 23:44:01 UTC 2014

On 09/08/2014 04:22 AM, Hossein Zabolzadeh wrote:
> Hello There,
> Is there any document about the installation of openstack on debian Jessie?
> Every docs are applied to Debian Wheezy.

Everything that applies to Wheezy should be the exact same thing in
Jessie, apart from the fact that you will not have to add any special
repository: everything for Icehouse should be there by default.

Also, I would very much welcome feedback on using Icehouse with Jessie.
Any issue you'll find will be fixed. Bonus point if you do some bug
reports before the release of Jessie, even better if you do that before
the freeze.

On 09/08/2014 04:48 AM, Roozbeh Shafiee wrote:
> Debian Jessie is still in testing stage. For production services
> Wheezy and  Havana is enough stable to use. If you want to install
> Icehouse on Debian you  can change to unstable branch and add
> OpenStack backport repository.

Debian Jessie will be frozen on the next 5th of November, and so close
from the freeze, there's no huge ongoing transition. Starting to use
Jessie now isn't such a bad idea.

However, what would be a terrible idea would be starting to use Havana
now. There's no work being done on Havana in Debian, and there's no work
that anyone will do. So you'd be pretty much on your own, including for
fixing any security issue. I believe there's already some security fixes
that you would miss. So by all means, don't use Havana, and use Icehouse.

http://docs.openstack.org/icehouse/install-guide/install/apt-debian/content/basics-packages.html

> But if you are looking for a Debian based platform to use OpenStack
> on that, I  offer you to take a look at Ubuntu 14.04 LTS with
> Icehouse as default in main repository.

So, the guy wants to use Debian, and you point him to use Ubuntu? Please
don't do that!!! Debian is a perfectly valid choice.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)

P.S: FYI, I'm the person doing all OpenStack packages in Debian, so I
know what I'm talking about...