[Openstack] memory.usage meter not displayed in ceilometer meter-list

Eoghan Glynn eglynn at redhat.com
Fri Nov 28 18:25:48 UTC 2014

> Hi,
>
> I am running a single node Juno on Ubuntu 14.04
>
> I am not able to get the memory.usage ceilometer meter in Nova.
>
> I have made the following settings in my nova.conf file as
> per the install guide
> http://docs.openstack.org/juno/install-guide/install/apt/content/ceilometer-agent-nova.html
> ,
>
> instance_usage_audit=True
> instance_usage_audit_period = hour
> notify_on_state_change = vm_and_task_state
> notification_driver = nova.openstack.common.notifier.rpc_notifier
> notification_driver = ceilometer.compute.nova_notifier
>
> Is there any other settings I have to do in order to obtain the memory.usage
> meter in Ceilometer.

What versions of ceilometer, libvirt and qemu are you using?

Note that this support only landed on Oct 21, 2014, so won't be in a
released version until kilo:

  https://github.com/openstack/ceilometer/commit/a7cf24e1

Also, note the documented version and image requirements:

  To enable the libvirt memory.usage supporting, you need libvirt
  version 1.1.1+, qemu version 1.5+, and you need to prepare suitable balloon
  driver in the image, particularly for Windows guests, most modern Linuxes
  have it built in. The memory.usage meters can't be fetched without image
  balloon driver.

Cheers,
Eoghan