[Openstack] Hi All, a problem about cinder, lvm, backing-file and reboot.

John Griffith john.griffith at solidfire.com
Mon Nov 24 18:29:29 UTC 2014

On Mon, Nov 24, 2014 at 11:15 AM, Edward HUANG <huangxx_2155 at live.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>   I'm trying to install Openstack on a local server in my lab, and I use
> devstack for the installation.
>   I use almost the default setting for local.conf.
>   And currently i encounter a problem, after I run unstack.sh, the volume
> group created by stack.sh is deleted, as well as the backing file, and by
> running rejoin-stack.sh, the cinder-volume cannot be restarted properly and
> it reports no 'stack-volumes-lvmdriver-1' is found.
>   Seems to me that rejoin-stack.sh does not bring back the volume group.
>   So, what is the proper way to unstack.sh and then re-run Openstack to
> preserve cinder storage properly?
>
> Best regards
> Edward ZILONG HUANG
> MS at ECE department, Carnegie Mellon University
> http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/zilongh/

Oops.. didn't reply all I don't think:

Hi Edward,

Correct, devstack uses non-persistent loopback files for Cinders VG by
default and they go away on reboot.  The only way to recreate in that
situation is a clean stack.sh run.

That being said there are two other options available to you:
1. Make the loopbacks persistent (not really worth it IMO)
2. Create a VG on your system using "real" disks and that way devstack
will just use those and you'll save yourself jumping through these
hoops.

Thanks
John