[Openstack] Why are OpenStack installs *so* hard to get fully functional?

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Sun May 18 16:50:15 UTC 2014

Excerpts from James Burnash - NOAA Affiliate's message of 2014-05-13 07:32:54 -0700:
> Greetings All.
>
> First  - some context:
>
> I've been doing enterprise Unix / Linux administration for 20+ years, and I
> like to think that I'm reasonably competent at installing and administering
> complex service stacks. So I'm not new to this area of endeavor.

I think one problem is that it isn't just a complex service stack. It
is many complex service stacks, loosely coupled by keystone. Each one
is a challenge to get set up, provision onto hardware, initialize with
data, etc.

http://docs.openstack.org/training-guides/content/module001-ch004-openstack-architecture.html

It is also being driven by orgs that intend to deploy it at a really
large scale, so new deployers with small to medium scale may find that
their voices are getting lost. That is something that concerns me as
well, though I'd hope some orgs will spring up (whether corporate or
more coalition based) that will champion the needs of these users.

> What I've found, however, is that, quite simply - the instructions just
> don't work to ultimately produce a fully functional OpenStack platform,
> even using the "official "documentation.

We have a project to deploy OpenStack using itself, which will provide an
option that will at least lead to a situation where you are more familiar
with OpenStack itself while you get it deployed. It also should help
the project as a whole become more familiar with the challenges that it
presents to deployers.

https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/TripleO

TripleO is for "OpenStack on OpenStack".

We are capable of deploying a real production ready deployment today,
but we are still not HA, and ongoing maintenance is brittle due to
issues with Heat. That is what we hope to solve in Juno.

> Quick Prototype installation - assorted failures
> on "regular"
> <https://access.redhat.com/site/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux_OpenStack_Platform/2/html/Getting_Started_Guide/part-Deploying_OS_using_PackStack.html>
> redhat.com:
> (http<https://access.redhat.com/site/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux_OpenStack_Platform/2/html/Getting_Started_Guide/part-Deploying_OS_using_PackStack.html>
> s://access.redhat.com/site/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux_OpenStack_Platfo<https://access.redhat.com/site/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux_OpenStack_Platform/2/html/Getting_Started_Guide/part-Deploying_OS_using_PackStack.html><https://access.redhat.com/site/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux_OpenStack_Platform/2/html/Getting_Started_Guide/part-Deploying_OS_using_PackStack.html>
> rm/2/html/Getting_Started_Guide/part-Deploying_OS_using_PackStack.html<https://access.redhat.com/site/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux_OpenStack_Platform/2/html/Getting_Started_Guide/part-Deploying_OS_using_PackStack.html>
> )
>
> Deploying it with Foreman:
> (http://openstack.redhat.com/Deploying_RDO_using_Foreman#Foreman_with_RDO)
>
> The closest I've come to something that works is going step by step through
> this at docs.openstack:
> http://docs.openstack.org/havana/config-reference/content/config_overview.html
>
> My environment is:
> Dell r710 servers (at least 12GB RAM, 20GB disk)

How many?

> CentOS 6.5
> Dual 1/10 NICs in each server (for private and public IP's)
>
> I'm interested to hear from other people on this list that are encountering
> the same problem - namely that the cook book instructions aren't working
> for us - and maybe we can help each other.

The best way to address the issues with documentation is to report bugs
in the manuals project:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/openstack-manuals/+filebug