[Openstack] project for contribution

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Sun Mar 30 09:44:55 UTC 2014

On Sun, 2014-03-30 at 10:03 +0400, Andrew Chul wrote:
> Hello, guys. I'm Python developer and I guess that I can help
> OpenStack to develop, but I don't know what project to choose. Can
> anybody help me?

Welcome to the OpenStack community, Andrew!

As you may have noticed, there's a large number of Python projects in
the OpenStack ecosystem. I'm sure many of the projects would be happy to
have a new contributor.

Depending on your experience level with Python and your areas of
interest, different projects would make more sense. Are you interested
in computing (virtualization, resource scheduling, any particular
hypervisor)? Perhaps networking-related areas, like software-defined
networking, load balancing or VPN solutions? Maybe you are interested in
storage -- either block storage or object storage? What about
orchestration or metrics collection and analysis? There's Python
projects that cover all of the above topics and more. It's up to you to
let us know where your interests lie and then we can help direct you a
bit.

I would advise hopping onto IRC (Freenode, #openstack-dev channel) and
chatting with folks there. Each project usually has its own channel
(e.g. #openstack-nova) where the core contributors of the project hang
out. Some of those folks can help you answer more specific questions you
might have and direct you to things like low-hanging-fruit tagged bugs
that might be an easy way for you to get started coding in OpenStack.

All the best,
-jay