[Openstack] [nova][cinder] Question about Nova cells and Global Cinder

zhangleiqiang at gmail.com zhangleiqiang at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 23:35:50 UTC 2014

Hi, stackers:

I am confused about reading the original BP ([1]) and operation guide of nova-cells, the question as follows:

One aim of nova-cells is to allow additional scaling and (geographic) distribution without complicated database or message queue clustering, and OpenStack Compute cells are designed to allow running the cloud in a distributed fashion without having to use more complicated technologies, or being invasive to existing nova installations.

The typical use case for cells is a cloud with two independent sites with a single API endpoint.

However, take cinder into account, it will require Cinder act as a shared service for the two sites?

For two independent sites with existing cloud installations, in order to *upgrade* to cells later, we must make sure the storage networks of these sites connected to each other as early as building the two sites?

In order to provide shared service for two sites, we must use the storage with geographic distribution? Among current Cinder backend drivers, it seems there are only glusterfs and ceph?

Furthermore, I think Cinder need to  provide the "site-affinity“ filter for this scenario, does it?

Is my understanding correct?

[1] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Blueprint-nova-compute-cells