[Openstack] [Neutron] General dev queries regarding neutron ovs agent

Salvatore Orlando sorlando at nicira.com
Tue Mar 25 10:01:04 UTC 2014

Comments inline.

Salvatore

On 25 March 2014 07:03, Ageeleshwar Kandavelu <
Ageeleshwar.Kandavelu at csscorp.com> wrote:

>  Hi,
>
> I have two queries regarding neutron ovs agent.
>
> 1. Correct me if I am wrong the ovs agent polls the neutron database for
> changes before creating resources. Why does the agent have to register with
> neutron-server. When I give 'neutron agent-list' I can see all the agents
> (l3, dhcp, ovs-plugin). What is the communication interface between the
> neutron-server and the agents. A link to the documentation would do.

The latest version of the neutron agent which had direct access to the
database was Essex. Since Folsom, there is a RPC interface, which is the
one the agent uses to report the state you see with neutron agent-list.

Also, the agent configures iptables rules for implementing security groups,
and creates gre tunnels if you're using this transport mode; it does not
create however tap interfaces, but merely wires them to the appropriate
network.

> 2. I recon that the ovs agent is using subprocess to create interfaces on
> openvswitch. What api does it use to handling namespaces i.e., to create
> interfaces inside non default network namespace.

As stated earlier the OVS agent does not create interface. Other agents,
such as DHCP and L3, do that. This, and ns management, is achieved with a
purpose built library: neutron.agent.linux.ip_lib