[Openstack] [Barbican] HTTPS Connection Question

Douglas Mendizabal douglas.mendizabal at RACKSPACE.COM
Tue Mar 4 22:47:10 UTC 2014

Hi Mark,

I hope I can answer your questions:

1. HTTP support should be provided by the web server used to host barbican,
not by barbican itself.  The files where you noticed the “protocol = http”
settings are uwsgi configuration files the Barbican team uses to run
Barbican using uwsgi during development.  The settings are just default
development settings, and should be tuned to your particular situation.  You
can find more information about uwsgi config options on their official
documentation. [1]  In particular, you may be interested in enabling HTTPS
support documentation. [2]

2. As I mentioned above, the dev team uses uwsgi to run Barbican, however
there are no dependencies on uwsgi built into barbican.  This means that, in
theory, you should be able to run Barbican using Apache + mod_uwsgi, or
Nginx + gunicorn, or any other web server capable of hosting a WSGI app.
That said, we have not actually built environments with alternative web
servers, so we don’t currently have any documentation on how to set that up.
If you decide to deploy Barbican using Apache, we’d love to hear about your
experience and help out in any way we can (join us at #openstack-barbican on
Freenode).  I would encourage you to contribute to our documentation wiki if
you are successful.

Regards,
-Doug Mendizabal

[1] http://uwsgi-docs.readthedocs.org/en/latest/Options.html