[Openstack] [SWIFT] What happens when the shard count on available disk is less than the total shard count?

Stephen Wood smwood4 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 1 00:01:26 UTC 2014

Sorry I mixed up my terminology. Let me better phrase my question.

When originally running swift-ring-builder container.builder create, I set
the partitions at 15 to give a total of 32768 partitions to split across 23
hosts with 12 disks each. Now I am replacing the container service on these
23 hosts with 4 hosts that have 1 disk.

Since I have 4 hosts with 1 disk each, do I calculate the weight of each of
these disks as 2^15 / 4 so that the same overall partition numbers are
available even though we're only using a handful of the disks?

--
Stephen Wood
www.heystephenwood.com