[Openstack] DHCP server with external dns server

Andrew Mann andrew at divvycloud.com
Sun Jun 29 18:50:04 UTC 2014

I think you're asking if it's possible for OpenStack to handle registering
each public IP assigned to an instance with a DNS service so that each
instance can be accessed by a hostname such as (instance name).mydomain.org
?

I don't think OpenStack handles this today.

If I were trying to assign host names to instances, I would look at a
script installed into the instance either as part of the image or part of
the first-boot setup.  I used a program called 'ddclient' in the past to do
this:

http://sourceforge.net/p/ddclient/wiki/Home/

It also appears to be included in at least Ubuntu distributions today, the
other major distributions probably have something similar.

On Sun, Jun 29, 2014 at 12:50 PM, Gonzalo Aguilar Delgado <
gaguilar at aguilardelgado.com> wrote:

>  Hi,
>
> I know this is asked several times. but I cannot find a solution. The more
> I found is
> https://lists.launchpad.net/openstack/msg21048.html
>
> And the dns as service plugin that I think is not ready.
> https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/DNSaaS
>
> So here is the question. Is there any way to setup a dhcpserver for the
> openstack lan so every instance that boots gets a dns?
>
> I mean. I configured my private dhcp and dns server to do the following:
>
> 1.- dhcp / bootp redirects any instances in my network to maas server.
> This is not needed for openstack. But I explain for completeness.
> 2.- Machine boots and gets an ip from dhcpd server.
> 3.- dhcpd server communicates the ip to the DNS and gets a name for a
> machine.
> 3.- dhcpd communicates network config to the server.
> 4.- Machine is fully resolvable under lan.
>
> I use rndc to do this with dns (bind9) and dhcpd.
>
> Is there any way to do this in openstack? So when a machine boots on lan
> gets a internal dns name, and when it gets a floating ip it gets another
> from the dns server?
>

> Do I explain myself?
>
> Best regards,

Andrew Mann