[Openstack] DHCP server with external dns server

Gonzalo Aguilar Delgado gaguilar at aguilardelgado.com
Sun Jun 29 17:50:49 UTC 2014

Hi,

I know this is asked several times. but I cannot find a solution. The
more I found is
https://lists.launchpad.net/openstack/msg21048.html

And the dns as service plugin that I think is not ready.
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/DNSaaS

So here is the question. Is there any way to setup a dhcpserver for the
openstack lan so every instance that boots gets a dns?

I mean. I configured my private dhcp and dns server to do the following:

1.- dhcp / bootp redirects any instances in my network to maas server.
This is not needed for openstack. But I explain for completeness.
2.- Machine boots and gets an ip from dhcpd server.
3.- dhcpd server communicates the ip to the DNS and gets a name for a
machine.
3.- dhcpd communicates network config to the server.
4.- Machine is fully resolvable under lan.

I use rndc to do this with dns (bind9) and dhcpd.

Is there any way to do this in openstack? So when a machine boots on lan
gets a internal dns name, and when it gets a floating ip it gets another
from the dns server?

Do I explain myself?

Best regards,